ReWild the family
Kettle Creek Environmental Trust (KCET) believes every child should have the opportunity to sleep out under the stars, roast a marshmallow – connect with nature. The Re-Wild the Family program helps families experiencing a nature deficit do just that.
KCET is currently seeking families to re-wild. Nominated and approved families will be given the opportunity to spend a free weekend at Dalewood Conservation Area – learning the joy of camping.
Families (single parent nominations are welcome) will be chosen based on their demonstrated need to reconnect with nature. Family’s can apply or be nominated for the opportunity. Selected families must describe the family’s nature deficit as a result of financial need, social hardship or other unique circumstance.
The families chosen to be re-wild will be provided with a free weekend of camping at Dalewood Conservation Area, a mentor for the weekend to teach them how to pitch a tent, build a campfire, cook a meal and all the equipment so they can repeat the experience on their own.
Applications are being accepted until available spots are filled. Complete rules and forms are available on KCET’s web site. Individuals and organizations are welcome to nominate families.
Thank you for your interest. We are no longer accepting nominations for 2023. Please check back in 2024.
Participation is open to all residents within the boundaries of Elgin County. Nominees must have an Elgin County address.
Families will be chosen based on the demonstrated need to reconnect with nature. Nominations will be evaluated on the family’s nature deficit as a result of financial need, social hardship or other unique circumstance.
In each case the families must be new to camping.
• Families wishing to take part in the program
• A relative or friend wishing to nominate a family
• Individuals and/or organizations that would like to nominate a family
Note: If you are nominating a family, nominees must give consent to the nomination.
• Entry is free, there are no fees associated with the Re-Wild the Family program.
• Nominations will be reviewed until all available spots are awarded in a given year.
• Nominations will be reviewed and considered by Kettle Creek Environmental Trust. The decision of the Trust is final.
• Contact information of the nominator and nominee is required and collected for the sole purpose of contacting winning families.
• For the purposes of this Nomination Form and the Re-Wild program, a family consists of two adult caregivers plus minor dependents or a single adult caregiver plus minor dependents (dependents/children must be less than 18 years of age).
• Families chosen to be Re-Wild will be required to sign a camping permit at Dalewood Conservation Area.
• Families will be held to the campgrounds rules and regulations at all times.
• Families chosen to be Re-Wild will be required to sign a Waiver.
• Successful families will be provided a free night of camping on a 15 amp camp site. Offer is not transferable to a different family than the one nominated.
• Any equipment provided to the families is not refundable and has no cash value.
• Kettle Creek Environmental Trust and Kettle Creek Conservation Authority are not responsible for the safety of the participants or their belongings.
Refer a Family
Refer a Family: Re-Wild the Family Nomination Form
KCET relies on referrals from caring individuals to help us reach deserving families in Elgin County. The eligibility consideration process begins when a nomination form is submitted.
Please read these rules and instructions carefully, and complete the registration form below. If you have any questions, please contact Elizabeth VanHooren at firstname.lastname@example.org or 519-631-1270 ext. 221.